GiveSendGo co-founder swears Canadian government can’t stop money from reaching protesting truckers

GiveSendGo won’t let a Canadian funds freeze order stop the crowdfunding platform from funneling money to protesting truckers.

GiveSendGo co-founder Jacob Wells said his team is meeting with lawyers and considering legal options to ensure Canadian officials don’t block the millions of dollars raised from reaching those protesting.

He said the Canadian government did not contact him or his Massachusetts-based platform before issuing a court order this week targeting his company.

“All we’re saying is that the funds are going to flow to these people in a way that they can have it and hopefully be able to access it,” Wells said in an interview with The Washington. Times. .

He said surrender was not in his nature.

“The Canadian government can do whatever it wants, GoFundMe can do whatever it wants, our platform exists to bring hope to people in difficult circumstances and many of these people have felt ostracized by their government, have been pushed into a corner,” Mr Wells said.

On Friday, Canada stepped up its pressure against truckers and their allies protesting COVID-19 rules, in part by attacking Wells’ business. Ontario Premier Doug Ford also declared a state of emergency, implored protesters to go home and said his government was taking action to disrupt protesters.

“We have already started looking for the money funding the illegal occupation,” Ford said at a news conference on Friday. “Yesterday, an Ontario court accepted our requests to freeze GiveSendGo’s funds for the convoy.”

GiveSendGo’s “Freedom Convoy 2022” campaign raised over $8.8 million as of Friday afternoon, and a separate “Adopt-a-Trucker” campaign raised over $715,000.

Banks and other financial institutions seeking to comply with the Canadian court order should be on the lookout for deposits and transactions aimed at protesters defying government restrictions.

GoFundMe, a major crowdfunding platform, halted a “Freedom Convoy 2022” fundraiser on its platform earlier this month and refunded contributions to donors. He said he had evidence from law enforcement that a peaceful protest had turned into an occupation.

GoFundMe’s loss was GiveSendGo’s gain.

Mr. Wells said he started the platform with his sister, Heather, in 2015 and they now have 25 employees. He said his platform’s activities are guided by his Christian faith and will continue to be so as its operation attracts new people and new fundraising campaigns.

“We are completely fallible people who are just trying to do good in the world, trying to stand up for freedom,” Mr Wells said. “We recognize the value, the cost of our freedoms, the very, very high price.”

For more information, visit The Washington Times COVID-19 resource page.